Things You Should Know


Hey. My name is Rowan. I'm from this place called Pretoria. It's alright. For those of you who don't know, it's in Africa. Down south. In South Africa. In fact, it's the capital. And no, we don't ride elephants to school. Idiots. I have this thing for literature, music, theatre, film. You catch my drift. I'm highly opinionated about many things, so if I offend you at any time; I'm not sorry. I myself am a lyricist and songwriter, albeit not professionally as yet. I do occasionally try my hand at musical theatre. Occasionally. And this is where I spill my heart and soul.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Draw The Line

There was a time when I walked this road,
There was a time when I was alone,
There is this place I used to know, 
Nothing's changed, hatred grows.

I walked the streets, I carried the load,
Of shattered dreams, of broken homes,
We were deceived, with the lies they told,
It's not as it seems, break the mould.

I'm not happy, I'm not satisfied,
I can't help you, but we're not blind,
Someone save me, this life's not mine,
Where's the bravery, where is the line.

Dis nie my probleem nie, dis nie my skuld,
Jy het jou keuse, ek kan nie jou lewe red.

Now is the time we walk this road,
Now is the time we're not alone,
This is this place we know, 
Things have changed, settle the score.

We walk the streets, we carry the load,
Our shattered dreams, our broken homes,
We're not deceived with the lies they told,
It's not as it seems,we're gonna break the mould.

We're not happy, we're not satisfied,
We're gonna help you, causewe're not blind,
We will save us, we will in time,
We are the brave, we've drawn the line.

Dis nie my probleem nie, maar dis my skuld,
Ek het my keuse, ek sal jou lewens red.

(For those of you without a working knowledge of Afrikaans, the first two lines translate to mean "It's not my problem, it's not my fault, You had your choices, I can't save your life." and the second two lines translate to "It's not my problem, but it's my fault, I had my choices, I will save your lives.")

No comments:

Post a Comment